Friday, February 12, 2010

Can I make a statement that is both true and false?

Let me elaborate:


If I say I'm lying, am I telling the truth?


If I am, I'm lying, so am utterring a falsehood; but if I'm not telling the truth, I am lying and so I am telling the truth.Can I make a statement that is both true and false?
Well, a statement can be such that one part is true while the other is false.


For example....


I saw you coming and thought you were looking for me.





I saw you coming is true. I thought you were looking for me is just to progress conversation or could even be false... I might have thought how harried he looks!!





I know this answer sort of pours water on what you really intended to discuss. Well, there are already enough straight answers, so I thought why not!!Can I make a statement that is both true and false?
If you say you are lying, and it is true, then it may be true that you are lying even though if it is true that you are lying then you are lying. So this results in you lying and being honest at the same time. If you say you are lying, and that is a false statement, then you are indeed lying even though you are telling us you are lying which is true. Is that a good enough answer? All I have really done is explained the problem, and the basic answer is yes, you can lie and tell the truth at the same time, based upon your example.
i couldn't help but LMAO at Mochi %26amp; Hawaii sponger...


It's funny that they say that cause to me all philosophy sounds like it was thought up but someone who was just really really high..ahaha


I guess that's why i love it so much, %26amp; why it's so interesting :P


But yeah, i've actually heard this paradox before...


i just choose to go with them telling the truth...about lying.


LOL
The elaboration may be the first I've seen that makes the question make less sense. Truth is in the whole statement and it's meaning, the wording doesn't change that.
How about: This statement is false.





If it's indeed false, then it is true, although the statement clearly says false.





Works.
C'mon man, youre just playing around.





Philosophy isnt about that kinda stuff.... really.





Its cool, but... well,,,,... too much bong action, there man.
The one thing you cannot say that you are lying is that ';I'm lying';


The one thing you cannot doubt is you are doubting.


Get the connection?
This is the Liar Paradox.





Check out the Wikipedia site for it, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liar_parado鈥?/a>
Can you make a statement that is both true and false? Yes and no.
depends on what you say you are lying about in the first place
No thanks, I'm busy doing this one for my own homework.
dude, you sound so high right now

No comments:

Post a Comment