Thursday, February 4, 2010

Can a verbal false statement over the phone under penalty of perjury to an insurance company be?

My daughter and I were in a minor traffic accident.My daughter was driving and I was the passenger. An old lady backed into the passenger side of our car. Although it was the ladys fault, I told my insurance adjuster under penalty of perjury I was the driver. Why, I don't know, I guess I was scared. My daughter has a permit to drive. I want to call my adjuster and tell her the truth but everyone says since it was her faulth, just leave it alone cause I committed perjury. The old woman asked me for my name and drivers licsence but not my daughters. My adjuster left a message on my voicemail and said she talk to the other driver and wanted to know if i was driving or my daughter was. I know I have to tell her the truth. I feel terrible. Does anyone know what the consequence is for verbal penalty of perjury? Thank you for your answersCan a verbal false statement over the phone under penalty of perjury to an insurance company be?
First of all you should never lie because it always has a way of coming back on you and you know that being as though you are a parent. However you are also human and sometimes we speak before we think and given the circumstances I can see where your judgement was flawed. You already know what the right thing to do is. Regardless of the outcome you don't want your child to ever lie to you. I would just explain the situation to whom ever and I doubt they will do anything since no one was injured during the accident. I've always been told that when someone asks you a question pretend they already know the answer and be honest.Can a verbal false statement over the phone under penalty of perjury to an insurance company be?
Since your daughter was driving under a permit, technically you are the responsible licensed driver. Hence, you are the one the insurance company wants to talk to. The only time you can get in trouble for lying to an insurance company is when you are applying for it, and mislead the information on your application. Even then, the only legal recourse they have is to deny you coverage. UNLESS you are intentionally trying to defraud the company, then you would have serious criminal and legal issues to deal with.
Well to start I hope you guys are OK!!! Next it like testifying, But I think it more to protect their butts. They have to follow laws and they want to make sure everyone they deal with does also. Do I think it will be a big deal.. No.. it was the lady's fault. But look at your policy about underage drivers with DP's. Worse case they deny you claim. Good luck to you
Dude, that sucks. Rather than cause a big inquisition regarding the truth I would come clean as soon as possible. You could try to play dumb and say of course my daughter was driving, isn't that what we discussed previously? And then act floored when they say otherwise. Keep in mind the conversation was likely recorded though.

No comments:

Post a Comment